Monday, July 23, 2007

YouTube Debates

I listened to the Democratic presidential debates this evening, and while there really didn't seem to be anything ground breaking, and at times verged on the frivolous, there were several things of note:

1) This debate format seemed to bring fun back to politics. There were some heated exchanges, but there seemed to be an underlying respect that seemed sincere. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part, but I really got the sense that each and everyone of those candidates was on the stage offering him or herself up in service to something larger than themselves.

2) For me the choice seems to be among Clinton, Edwards, and Biden. Obama seems to be showing some strain and I don't think he's ready. I would consider him for the VP slot, and in that case I think he'd be good with Biden. But the problem with these debates is that there is nothing really at stake. They are nothing more than campaign fundraising opportunities. They will start to mean something when their are actual votes at stake.

3) The most important question of the night was, "Are our troops in Iraq dying in vain?" No one came up with a good answer to that question, but I think I have one that would at least be adequate: No, the troops are not dying in vain. If there is any good that come from this war it is that it is re-engaging the American people in our political process. Because American soldiers are being slaughtered, the American people are being forced to shake their apathy. It is a slow, painful process, but one that this country desperately needs. If, at the end of this war the American public begins to feel some responsibility for the position of privilege and power that it holds in the world, then no, those deaths are not in vain.

4) For the first time Clinton came off as presidential. Like I said above, it no longer feels personal. I hope I'm right.

No comments: