Friday, July 27, 2007

Pooped!

I got my severance paperwork today. With the pittance they're offering, a tiny bit of vacation time, the remainder of my student loan money, and a few other cash-stashes, I could sit on my ass for almost the next year and do nothing. If everything goes according to plan, the timing would be right to go into my PhD program. When you look at student loans, mortgage, and equity built up in my condo, if I sold out in the next year, I could pay off all my debts and be pretty much at break even. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with that financial position.

There was a time when watching daytime TV, strolling to the beach, and being debt free (if not exactly solvent) sounded like heaven. Those days have passed. So, I've been looking into starting my own business. I need something that I could control the schedule, that had low start-up costs and that I could manage while working on my degree. I don't want to say what it might be yet. I'm still doing my research, but I've yet to hit a significant snag.

Oh, except that I have almost no experience in the area that I want to break into. So, I've been reading and researching until my eyes bleed. But it all looks good! If I'm able to keep to my schedule, I'll be an entrepreneur by October.

No comments: