Tuesday, July 10, 2007

un-Recommitted

I was dreading the management team meeting and having to sit across from two people who have publicly stated they have no respect for anyone else in the room. Now, I don't have to.

There was a board meeting today in which the CFO demanded $500,000 in cuts or warned that the company would go out of business. This, in spite of the fact that we've grown revenue by 50%, already reduced our staff by 30%, and are projecting only a $100,000 shortfall -- a shortfall created by the CFO's faulty projections and will more than likely be covered by a division that is performing much better than expected. To turn around and meet projections after a year in which the company lost $4.5 million is amazing.

Still the CFO is demanding drastic cuts in staff.

This means that for the third time this year I had to type a list of proposed staff cuts with my name on it.

The CEO is so far beyond angry at the betrayal. In most cases a CFO does not present numbers to a board of directors without discussing with the CEO. Not our CFO. What's more, she doesn't even understand the numbers, because when questioned about them she gives conflicting and inconsistent rationale. So, the CEO finally understands that the CFO is out to destroy him. When I typed up this list of his proposed cuts, my name was number three on the list. The CEO put his name first.

But the good news is I no longer have to dread that make-nice meeting. The CEO cancelled it. Now tomorrow I just have to stay in my office so I don't say something I might regret.

I'm exhausted.

No comments: