Monday, July 30, 2007

The Secret to Surviving Unemployment

It is virtually impossible for me to get everything accomplished that I need/want to get done in a day. I don't have time for a job.

And yet, looking for a job is in itself a full-time job. My strategy has always been to submit my resume for everything that I could conceivably do. However, as my resume develops I'm now reaching the point where I'm over-qualified for a lot of jobs. I'm stuck in the middle-management quagmire where my resume is too strong for positions that have to be managed, but not really strong enough to take on a leadership role within an organization. That means, I think, that I'm looking for an organization that is willing to take a chance on potential because they can't necessarily afford experience. Not the best position to be in, but there it is.

That's why I've been focusing on starting my own business. I've now discussed this with four different people, all of whom have been encouraging. To be honest, I haven't really hit a real speed bump yet. I think the biggest challenge is going to be finding a space for the business, but even that isn't insurmountable.

Then there are the PhD applications, which at the moment are going nowhere. I sent an e-mail to a professor asking if he'd write a letter of recommendation, but have not yet heard back. It's summer and he's no doubt on vacation. There is the writing sample to prepare, and different aspects to get arranged. And I've done nothing on this front. The deadlines are all in December, so I've got time, but I HATE being pushed to a deadline.

And then finally there is my writing, which I've completely neglected in favor of the business. I'm packing up my computer this morning and heading off to the coffee shop and getting a lot of stuff done.

Then, on Friday, I received an e-mail from the COO, Marty, asking me for advise on how to handle a certain situation. I'm thinking, "You laid me off! Your severance package is pitiful and you're trying to weasel out of paying my bonus! Figure your own problems out!" Of course, that's not how I responded. I stuck to the business at hand, which was to say that I was waiting for my separation paperwork. It arrived -- incomplete and incorrect -- via e-mail a couple of hours later.

So, the secret to surviving unemployment is realizing that you are, in fact, employed. You're just not receiving a pay check. And with any employment, there are deadlines to be met. So off to them...

No comments: