Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Recommitting

So with the major battle of removing the Chairman over, the healing must now commence among the management team. The team is comprised of the CEO, COO, and me in one corner; the CFO, the Kid in another corner; and the Tech Guy somewhere in the middle. During this entire ordeal the two camps have been waging some kind of war. I tried to remain neutral and act as peacemaker as much as possible, but at some point it became clear that sides would have to be taken. I backed my bosses.

Now, the CEO has decided to extend the olive branch to the CFO and the Kid. While I think that's mighty Christian of him, I do not look forward to the prospect of trying to work with people who have said, publicly, that they have no respect for at least three fourths of the remaining team members. And I'm not so foolish as to think that just because those two didn't tell me to my face that they have no respect for me that they have respect for me.

This will be the third time that I'm being asked to recommit to the management team. The other two times it took about two weeks before the cracks began to show. I told the CEO that this time I'm not going to take the responsibility of trying to keep the team together. If it falls apart, it falls apart.

On the lighter side, work on my collection of short stories is progressing nicely. I have the twelfth well underway, and I discovered in my files two others that I had begun, but had to set aside because of school. I remember where I was going with them, so I should be able to get them done in the next two weeks. That leaves one more before I start going back and expanding and polishing and trying to shape a coherent collection. I think I'm going to meet my target date of Labor Day to have these completed!

No comments: