Friday, July 20, 2007

Overwhelmed

I don't have time for a job right now! Yesterday I sat in my coffee shop try to bang out another story and I was literally overwhelmed by all of the things that I want/have to do. I couldn't focus on any of them and so got none of them done. That sort of frantic, frenetic feeling stayed with me for most of the day and then at about 3:00 it left and I was able to focus on some things.

Resumes continue to go out at about the rate of five per day. Yesterday I had an interview scheduled with a staffing company, but I canceled. Over the past few years I've actually interviewed with that company three times and I've come to the conclusion that they either don't have any jobs and they just like dragging me in there to meet me, or that I don't really fit their image. So, I called and canceled, offering to reschedule. I haven't heard back from them.

What really got me itchy yesterday was beginning seriously looking at Ph.D. programs. Northwestern actually has several programs that interest me, but I think I'm going to go for their rhetoric program. Still the admission requirements made me a little woozy. The hardest thing is coming up with my statement of purpose. "When I grow up I want to be a professor." Not going to cut it.

I've also decided not to completely rule out MFA programs. The truth is that I have a much easier time motivating myself to create something than I do to research something. The feedback on my fiction continues to be positive. I'd classify it as competent and every now and then there are sparks of inspiration. So, I'm going to plod forward.

But I think every day has to start with a trip to the gym. I need to burn off some of this excess energy or I'll get nothing done.

No comments: