Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Good Day

Yesterday was another good day. Went to the gym, rode my bike to the bank, started a new story, which feels like one of the best I've done in a while.

And I'm exhausted.

The thing I'm discovering about my writing is that the creation and the execution of a story do not happen simultaneously for me. Yesterday I sat in Caribou Coffee for an hour and a half and got a page out when I hit a wall. So I played a quick chess game and then packed up my computer. Just as I put the computer in my backpack, the break through happened. I knew where the story was going. I'm not completely sure where the story ends...no, I take that back. I do. It just came to me.

So, now I have the story mapped out in my head. It's the typing it up that makes me yawn. But, I'm determined to have this collection completed and ready to market by Labor Day. This is number fifteen. Five more to go!

The plan was to get fifteen done and then go back to start revisions. I cheated and went back to one of my earliest stories. I wrote it in 2002. I can see the structural weaknesses in the piece and I can see the growth in my work. Still, I did very little to the piece. I like it in spite of it's flaws. Right now it's the first story in the collection, which may not work. Ultimately it might be cut.

I'm loving this process.

No comments: