Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Elasticity of Time

Winona Ryder is 35? How did that happen?

My friend Missy was in Great Balls of Fire. Wynona Rider, however, beat her out for the role opposite Dennis Quaid. That's how old Wynona Ryder is and shall always remain in my head.

Never a brilliant actress, she has given two performances of note. Obviously the first is in Heathers, which I think anyone who went to high school in the eighties or after can relate to. It's a brilliant film and even Christian Slater is hot in it.

However the second, less recognized performance is in Age of Innocence. I remember when the movie came out. I actually saw it at the opening screening here in Chicago and for some reason the theater was packed. I don't remember if Scorcesee was in attendance, or if any of the film's stars but for some reason the film made quite a stir. That was the first, and to date only, performance from Ryder that had any sort of depth or shading.

Still, from the photographs, you can see that she's a stunning woman. Just how did she get so old?

No comments: