Friday, February 24, 2006

Standing on the Edge of the Weekend

Ah, the sweet relaxation of Friday, 6 p.m. and a deliciously unplanned weekend sprawled in front of me.

It becomes clearer each day that this temp assignment is going to be more long term than not. My boss is incorporating me into plans six months down the road. All fine with me. No one is more surprised than I am that this assignment is working out. I never thought I'd go back into human resources. Never.

What I find even more entertaining is that I was hired as a temporary clerical worker, and yet I'm asked about some pretty important policy issues, or I just randomly spout my unsolicited opinion, and they all act like I know what I'm talking about. Of course I'm fully aware of my own wisdom, but this is the first time others have expressed such confidence in my thoughts. I usually have to explain and cite authorities and examples, and even then the management does what it wants. But not now. It's refreshing.

Today I went to lunch with the hated secretary of the chairman's office. She's nice enough, but I think she resents me because I replaced her friend, and because I think she thought she should have the job. Several people have made a point of telling me that their new policy is to post all open positions. This one certainly wasn't posted. Ah well, I've been down this road before and the freshly fertilized fields it bisects all smell the same. They'll get over it.

No comments: