Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Political Rant 1

I follow politics. I don't always understand what is going on -- the historical significance of a particular event -- but I am always interested. Of particular interest to me at the moment is the Bush administration's war on terror. Bluntly, I believe that it will lead to a third world war within the next ten years. All of the signs are there, reflected most recently in the world-wide protest over the Dutch cartoon. I believe these protests are designed to demonstrate just how widespread anti-Western feelings are in the Orient. I also believe that the stumbling response by the European leaders is a clear indication of how unprepared the Occident is for another global conflict. Interesting, isn't it, that there have been no reports of such protests in the United States. I wonder if the attacks on the Alabama churches might be part of these protests; an attempt to stir up racial divides and begin to conquer from within.

But of most interest to me at the moment is the rancor directed at Senators Clinton and Obama. I've often noted the Democrat's strategy of sending out red herrings to draw fire and smoke out the Republican agenda. Paper candidacies like Al Sharpton's and Dennis Cucinich's are designed for these purposes. Both Sharpton and Cucinich are thoughtful, plain-spoken men, who can speak their minds within the Democratic perameters established. They were both free to inflame debate and I found both of them more appealing than either Kerry or Edwards in the last election. I believed a Cucinich presidency with Sharpton on the cabinet would have brought radical change to this country. Perhaps that's why neither of them survived. I was genuinely disappointed when Cucinich dropped from the race.

I've not been surprised by Clinton's antagonism of the Bush administration. The animosity between those two factions of the ruling class is well documented. I don't believe that Clinton will run for president in 2008, although I like her as a vice presidential candidate. I think what we see here is Clinton positioning herself to take Ted Kennedy's role in the senate, and with no strong opponent in the next election, it appears that she's well-positioned for a long senate tenure. If she is on the ticket in 2008, win or lose, she's on the political stage for the rest of her career.


I also don't believe that Obama will make a run in 2008. This flare up between him and McCain, I think, is a simple miscalculation that can be chalked up to freshman foot-in-mouth disease. The surprising thing is McCain's response. Such prissiness is out of character, and I think it's the best indication to date of the desperation of the Republican party to recast themselves as reformers. If they can taint Obama then they've demonstrated just how uncooperative the Democrats have been in reform.

In my opinion, McCain is guilty of every bit of partisan politics he's accusing Obama of. Any man who would tow the Bush line in the name of Republican solidarity loses all crediblity. His work with Lieberman hardly qualifies as bipartisanship. Lieberman is a democrat in name only. I believe that the Democrats had a stronger VP candidate in 2000, even a marginally stronger one like Edwards, they'd have won the 2000 election.

The Republicans have repeatedly demonstrated the winning formula. The nice guy for president, the bulldog for VP. If the Democrats learn that formula, and barring anymore faux pas, Obama may be ready for a presidential run in 2012.

I predict a Biden/Clinton ticket in 2008.

No comments: