Monday, June 25, 2007

My First Professional Gig

The first year I came to Chicago I didn't really do any real auditioning. I had just graduated college and the prospect of actually becoming a professional actor was a little daunting. I didn't really know where to start. I had a roommate who came to Chicago with me from Drake. We went to some community theatre auditions together, but nothing serious. I remember that he and I were auditioning for a musical -- I think it might have been Pippin and we were both called back. Tom was called back to play my father. Neither of us went.

My friends Matt and Val had come to Chicago the year before, and they were taking classes at a little storefront theatre that has long since disappeared. So, since that's where they were going, I took classes there too. One of the teachers was directing Wonderful Town for a professional company in Skokie. I don't remember if I was invited to audition, or whether I signed up. Anyway, I went and was cast in the chorus. A week or so before rehearsals started the director called and asked if I'd take over one of the lead roles -- a bumbling, good-natured football player. I was thrilled. And I was terrible.

Rehearsals were exhausting and tech week actually cost me my day job. All through the run I spent my days looking for a job that would pay the bills. For the entire run I made $60. I was a star! And I was a neurotic mess. I was unemployed, needing to find my own apartment, and dealing with my father's death. It was the best of times and the worst of times.

I learned a lot from Wonderful Town. Unfortunately, it took a decade or two for the lessons to make sense. It's really true in theater. It's not what you know, but who you know. The real business of show business is making friends. Talent doesn't hurt, but it doesn't necessarily help either.

I'm trying to remember all of those lessons while I work on my writing. I'm building a nice little portfolio, but I haven't sent out a syllable yet. I sit down and read a Faulkner short story and think I'm delusional to imagine that I could ever publish something. Then I read another author and wonder what I'm waiting for.

I just have to keep pounding the keyboard. Eventually something has to come of it.

No comments: