Monday, February 26, 2007

Let the Games Begin

In an attempt to reacquaint myself with what is going on in the world, I've officially begun to pay attention to the presidential candidates. Since it is so early in the process, I reserve the right to review my assertions and I will use my blog here to work out my thoughts. My decision is a work in progress.

Right now Obama is looking good, but frankly he's simply not experienced enough for the top job. He's got a good PR machine and it's very safe to take a strong stance against the war right now. Unless there is some serious development within the next eighteen months, I like Obama for the number two slot.

I also think Edwards would make a good VP. As with Obama, he's got a good PR machine, but he's too green. And, frankly, I'm disturbed by his apology for voting for the war. The fact is, there was a strong wave of propaganda supporting the war before the invasion, but that propaganda wasn't pervasive. The UN was making progress in their searches and sanctions had greatly contained Saddam and maintained peace in the region. In 2002 a reasonable person could make a rational case for voting for the war, but it is disingenuous to claim to be wholly misled.

Clinton, while way too programmed by her handlers, may be the strongest candidate on domestic issues. Frankly, my enthusiasm for her has dimmed over the years and I really need to reacquaint myself with her positions. My fear is that her positions are going to smack of political posturing.

Of the Democratic front runners, Biden is the one I have the most hope for. If we can cure him of foot-in-mouth disease, I think he strikes the right balance of firmness on foreign policy, and demonstrates an understanding of diplomacy as well as domestic issues. The fact that he hasn't evaporated since making his Obama gaffe means something -- I haven't decided what. If I had to pick a candidate today, he'd be my choice.

And whoever leads the Democratic ticket, he/she should seriously give consideration to putting Kucinich and Sharpton into cabinet positions. Right now the country needs plain-spoken, let-the-chips-fall-where-they-may leaders.

But, truthfully, today my dream team would be a Gore/Biden ticket. The world needs to be led by a man who has walked the red carpet.

No comments: