Tuesday, February 20, 2007

America, Thy Name is Mediocrity

So, a Republican state chooses not to honor Bono for working for debt relief for third world nations. I'm shocked. Shocked. However, what dismays me more is the feeble attempt at the state senator's humor. Sonny Bono indeed. That wasn't funny in 1984.

I'm beginning to get a peak at how curmudgeonly I'm going to be in my old age. I find myself asking again and again, "Does no one have a minimum standard anymore, let alone a drive toward excellence?" From simple things like a delinquent expression of thanks or punctuality, to the national tendency to allow ourselves to be distracted from war by Britney Spears and her date with a hair clipper.

Perhaps I'm just as much to blame as anyone. With my over-crowded schedule I am able to focus on work and school, and little else. Because I'm studying writing I try to make time to post cogent remarks on this humble blog. I can't even get to the post office to mail my sister some CDs. So how could I be expected to keep up with world events when there's Britney to laugh at? The Iraq war is such a downer and why should I care about global warming and the hyperbolic rhetoric surrounding that issue when the Oscars are next week?

Yesterday my boss literally told me that there is no way for him to guarantee his arrival in the office before 9:00, and that the earliest he could reasonably be expected to attend a meeting is 11:00. In the morning. I simply don't know how to respond to that. He's trying to resurrect the management team meeting that I posted about last week, and he will send another invitation to the team, suggesting Wednesdays at 11:00. He didn't ask my opinion, but I'm going to decline the invitation. I have made very clear that if there is anything specific I can do to be of assistance, I'll be more than happy to do so, but I will not set a regular time in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, for a meeting in which they review all the reasons why they can't get anything done.

Hiding my contempt for some of these people is getting more and more difficult. God save me from the mewling victim.

No comments: