Thursday, February 08, 2007

Anna Nicole Gives Good Head

I don't know the details, but do they really matter? Anna Nicole Smith, icon of self indulgence, made good on her promise. Whether this episode was accidental or not, the fact is she's been teasing us like a preacher's daughter on prom night, and finally she delivered.

I have to say that when I heard the news today I was titillated. I kept waiting for the moment when my humanity would kick in and I'd feel something other than almost glee. There is something so ultimately trashy, so Americanly sublime about this story. Isn't this how the date with Anna Nicole is supposed to end?

I didn't know Anna Nicole Smith. I'd seen her on television, and I'm sure like many I thought she was something of a social freak; a ripe, sexualized clown. And today when I heard that she'd died I tried to feel something. I tried to find a shred of respect for her and I couldn't. Like everyone else who follows pop culture, I was the horny football captain, and like any adolescent sports hero who receives a hand job after the big game, I feel like I only technically got what I wanted. I'm relieved, but not satisfied.

When I was told about her death, I laughed because there was no other response possible. Anna Nicole, Paris Hilton, Donald Trump...sadly the list seems to stretch into the abyss...all are social prick teases. They are media beauty queens with too much make-up and striped hair who shake their titties at us making us drool and forget our plain-Jane girlfriends like health care, education, and they war. They're fun little sluts, but they're only interested in picking up the bills from the dresser after the wad has been shot.

We can't even claim that Anna Nicole or any of these other media tarts have taken advantage of us. We crawled into the back seat and begged them to go back there with us. We told ourselves that no one would know. And now after the sordid little grope and slurp session, there is nothing left but a vague, hollow feeling, a bastard child, and a slight burning sensation.

RIP ANS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fascinating post. I'd like you to think about a few things:

Talent is relative.

Pop culture is still culture.

Most people say Rita Hayworth, Dorothy Lamour and Joan Crawford were glorified whores.

I was a prostitute for many years before I became a professional actress.

None of these things is meant to change your post, I actually thought it was really well written and I respect your opinion. But you posted it on my Blog where I wrote that I was distraught about her death, so obviously you wanted me to read this. I'm not sure why. But thanks, you've given me a lot to think about.

Hammy said...

Because brevity is not my strong suit, I've posted my response on my main blog...