Sunday, January 29, 2006

Survival

We made it through today at the cafe. Again, the scheduled busboy did not show up, but reinforcements came in the form of Espie's* brother.

Espie is a wonder busboy. She's a woman, but the job title is busboy, so we just go with it. You turn Espie on and she just does not quit until the place is clean. There are drawbacks. She has a very clear idea of what her job is, and doesn't hide her resentment if she's asked to do anything she feels falls outside of that. But what she does think of as her job, she guards like a pitbull and is relentless. Her brother is nearly as good. The best thing about them is that they are virtually invisible. The work simply gets done. I love her.

And Roland, our summer waiter who agreed to pick up shifts with the new expansion, didn't show up. When I called, he said he was sick and would be in next week. We went through this same thing when I first hired him last summer. But he's a fair waiter and in the thick of things I don't have to worry about his station. I called the main restaurant to advise and get direction. I could devote a multitude of posts to the owner of the restaurant, Timmy, and there is just no shorthand description that works. Rapid controls freak is about the best that I can come up with. Anyway, there was no way we were going to delay the opening of the expansion, so he said he'd send Martin. Martin is the least effective server I've ever seen. He's very concerned that the food looks good on the plate, but could not care less if the plate ever made it to the table. Imagine my surprise when Roberto walked in the door. Roberto is my favorite waiter. I think he's the best waiter I've ever worked with. He's certainly better than I am. No matter what, he's cheerful, works until he drops and goes out his way to help his co-workers. Frankly, he puts me to shame.

So, we got slammed early and it was hard all day. My station was the station of choice, and I rang about half again as much as Roberto. Donna, the third server, closed. I don't know what she rang, but it should be close to mine.

All in all, it was a good day.

But I'm simply exhausted. After work I dragged myself to the gym. Not to work out, but to take a nap. I changed into my clothes and found a mat and slipped into a coma. On days like today, it's the only way I'm going to make through chorus rehearsal. When I wake up I stagger into the shower and ignore all the blatant cruising. I count tile squares while I shower and get out. The showers at the gym are another post.

I had a great time at rehearsal. The auditions are all done and I didn't suffer a single symptom of withdrawal for not going. I'm sad, but there will be other things in the future. And it will be fun to be buried in the back while someone else has to carry the show.

Tomorrow is red alert study day. I need to devote some serious time to my editing class and I also need to make major progress on my paper. I may have to park myself in the library and forgo my perch at Caribou Coffee.

*All names are fictitious.

No comments: