Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Academic Accuracy

This editing class will be the death of me. I'm at the point where I'm afraid to write anything more complex than a simple declarative sentence. I'm also afraid to read anything because I can't absorb any information. Instead, I'm obsessed with comma placement and remembering the rule that dictates that placement. The frustrating thing is that once again I seem to be the only one required to follow the rules.

The New York Times clearly has a different set of rules it follows, and apparently they are being kept secret. The Chicago Tribune, surprisingly, is the most clearly edited; and while I enjoy the Sun-Times more, it appears to have been edited by fourth graders. Finally, not only do I think Robert Novak should be brought up on conspiracy to commit treason charges, but I resent his editorial style to boot.

No comments: