Sunday, January 22, 2006

Choices

I sing with the Chicago Gay Men's Chorus. It's a great bunch of guys and I it is the highlight of my week to go to rehearsal. While I'm not socially very active with the group, for three hours every week I get to be part of something larger than myself and try to blend in with a crowd.

We present three shows a year. In April, we are presenting an original muscial of The Ten Commandments. There are three major roles that I'd love to play; yet I'm not auditioning for them. It's been a very difficult decision, made easier by the fact that many of the extra rehearsals will conflict with my work schedule. Still, at another time I'd have sold my mother for a chance at such good roles.

I've realized that the time has come to put some perspective in my life. I'm in school, doing a class that is deadly dull and very difficult; yet, mastering it is critical to my future plans. Secondly, I'm a major presenter at a conference this spring and the paper is a shambles, requiring some major attention. Again, not as alluring as a spotlight, an audience of a thousand, and applause; but essential to my future plans. I simply cannot indulge.

So all three roles will go to three very capable, talented men; and I will be cheering them on from the chorus, trying not to upstage them.

No comments: