Saturday, January 28, 2006

Mood Swings

This will be brief because today was a bear. We changed tables and chairs in the diner, the busboy didn't show up, and we got hit hard early and steady all day. Tomorrow the expansion opens up and I already know I'm going to be short-handed.* And I also decided today that the cashier had to be demoted to busboy.

The moods, they are a-swinging, let me tell you! It's all good, though. I'm using the moods as motivators to make changes. I've discovered a rather ugly little tendency of mine: I recognize the need for change long before I take action. I let the need for the change grow, and with it the frustration of maintaining the status quo. Then, when I can no longer take it, I have the brilliant ability to create a drama that makes change inevitable. I'm working on managing this process a little better, but I grew up in a family where crisis was the norm. I'm too tired for crisis any more.

Speaking of tired, that alarm goes off at 4 am tomorrow, and my clock seems to speed up between the hours of 10 pm and 4 am. Just a quick jot to let you know all is well.

* The editing class is making me evermore paranoid about punctuation. It is safe to assume that if you see a hypen anywhere in my writings, there has been some degree of panic and the consultation of at least one reference book.

No comments: