Sunday, September 16, 2007

Panic!

Yesterday I uploaded my website and all went well until I decided to test it. All of the animation I'd spent two days putting into it had not transferred. I called the support number, trying to remain calm and they told me that it took up to twenty-four hours for the animation to flow through. Skeptical, I accepted that answer and made the painful decision to turn off my computer.

This morning I managed to keep myself busy until the twenty-four hour mark. Then I turned on the computer and went to the website. Nothing. I started to fiddle with it, but the more I played the worse it got and I started losing pictures. Pictures are the whole reason for the site.

Reluctantly I called the help number. I can tell you that technical support people don't really like helping people, and they really hate helping people with stupid questions. The guy on the other end was barely civil as he explained to me which two buttons I needed to push to fix my problem. I hung up, only to discover that fix created a whole host of other problems.

I did everything imaginable to fix it. I reloaded my system. I started deleting duplicate files. Nothing worked. I spent seven hours trying to come up with the solution on my own. Finally, after talking to a very polite, very useless Adobe support person in India I broke down and called the website support person.

Fortunately it took him half an hour to find the problem, which required a little more than two button strokes. His fix restored the pictures, but not the animation. At this point I was thankful to be back to the original problem. Still, there was some tweaking to be done and gingerly I began.

Then, as I looked through the files, I noticed a key file was missing. It was the file that the instructions said were vital to make things happen properly. I searched my system, sent it to the website, and a miracle. The animation worked. And it only took fifteen hours! I managed to brush my teeth today, but no shower.

It's a little ragged at the moment, but I have a working website! I am officially in business.

No comments: