Thursday, September 27, 2007

Democratic Debate

Lets cut to the chase.

Winners: John Edwards, Dennis Kucinich, Bill Richardson

Losers: Barak Obama, Hillary Clinton

John Edwards really pulled himself out of the pack last night and established himself as other than a gentleman politician. Particularly when it came to taking on Clinton. He has masterfully positioned himself on the gay rights issue by acknowleging that his position will most probably become antique, and while he holds his belief he will not necessarily force that belief on to anyone else. Of course that comes right out of the John Kennedy/Catholic issue.

But I particularly liked his answer on his lifestyle question. Tim Russert, a quintessential blowhard who looks like he lives in his mother's basement, brought up the issue of the $400 haircut and a mortgage investment at subprime levels. Edwards did not sidestep the question at all. He said that he'd worked very hard to establish his lifestyle and he wasn't going to apologize for it. As for the investments, he pointed out that he also set up a trust fund for the borrowers who were experiencing difficulties and made a large contribution to that fund. For the first time I felt like I owed Edwards a look.

Of course, Dennis Kucinich is the latter-day Ross Perot. He's unequivocal and funny. He also comes across as the kid on the playground with the pocket protector who would be pushed down for his lunch money. Still, those kids tended to be the smartest and smarts have been sorely lacking in Washington. In my opinion he's wasted in the House of Representatives, but I'm not sure I see him in the White House. I almost think Secretary of Energy is where I want him.

But for me Bill Richardson was the revelation. Understand that I do not appreciate his stance on gay rights. It's forced upon him by advisors and there isn't a passion for the issue that Kucinch holds. But there really are more pressing issues for the country right now, and on those issues I like what he says. I'd like to see a little more of Biden's conviction from Richardson.

Obama really was the big loser last night. It's too soon in his career to be making this presidential bid, and frankly I think he's doing damage to his credibility for future runs. His lacklustre performance last night all but insured that he's lost the nomination. He's clearly smart and charming, but his lack of experience is showing. As I've said from the start, I want him in the VP slot.

Clinton didn't do herself any favors last night. The commentary after the debate focused on her non-answer answers. While I think there's something to that, I also think the commentators were not listening closely enough. Clinton was telling u that politics is not about advancing an agenda that improves the quality of the country. Politics is a strategic horse trade, and if you review her answers on the social security issue, what you hear is that there is nothing that will not be used as a bargaining chip. I suspect that even healthcare is up for grabs in her administration and the plan that she's put forth would never come to fruition as it is presented today.

I'm torn by this. On the one hand I'm sure that's the political reality and that her's is a pragmatic approach. On the other hand, the American public really needs simplification. It's not that Americans are stupid, its that we've paid the price for political complexity and the one who can draw the clearest line from point A to point B, and adhere to that map, will win. I don't think her ego would allow her the VP slot, but that might be a better place for her. There was just too much Dick Cheney manuvering in her answers for me.

I thank God for Gravel and Dodd being in this campaign. They don't have a prayer, but they also have nothing to lose. That means they can speak their minds and I really think they give voice to what the American people think. Gravel demanding that the senators suspend their campaigns and filibuster on the war was brilliant. They all reponded that wasn't realistic, but I wonder how realistic it would become if any of them had children fighting in Iraq.

Finally, Biden was a wash. He lost my vote by not attending the Logo debates. I think he's a straight shooter, smart, and I'm glad he's in the government, but I think like Clinton he's ultimately more valuable to the country in the Senate.

So, with that I'm left with Edwards, Kucinich, or Richardson.

No comments: