Monday, September 24, 2007

The Job Search

As job searches go, mine is going along just fine. I have to say that in the past my resumes have received a higher percentage of responses, but I've stepped up to a higher level in organizations where statistics show hiring takes more time.

For the past few days I've been in talks with a resume marketer. For the low, low price of one and a half month's projected salary -- paid up front -- they will re-write my resume, give me access to their secret databases and provide me with up to twelve templates for cover letters. They will coach me through interviews and help me negotiate salaries.

I have to say that I was tempted. But the fact is, a) I have a masters degree in writing. If I can't write a resume I should demand my money back from DePaul. The same goes for the cover letters. What's more, I have been the person to receive tens of thousands of resumes and I can say categorically there has not been one cover letter that has inspired me to consider a resume I hadn't already selected for consideration. If a cover letter gets read at all, it's as a factor for eliminating a resume, not for selecting it. And I have never, ever disqualified a good resume because there was no cover letter. As for coaching me through interviews, I've done more interviews than anyone on the planet, Barbara Walters included. I've been the questioner and the questionee. I'm not afraid of an interview. I might benefit from some coaching through a salary negotiation, but at the salary level I'm at there really isn't much room for negotiations. I'm usually at the upper range.

What struck me about this service was how they tried to scare me into signing the contract. They kept telling me that while they could see I was a candidate of quality, they didn't believe anyone else would see that. He kept telling me that the clock was ticking and that there was a lot of activity on the job market. I shouldn't wait.

Then I asked for some references. I think he actually choked. I can't believe no one ever asked for references before. It took him about two minutes to recover when he said that of course the references would come back glowing. That's when I asked him to send me information on their Chicago office so that I could do some research on their services. Up until now I could find nothing. He told me it would take four or five days to get that information. I told him that I could wait, that this was a huge financial commitment for me and that I wouldn't be comfortable writing a check unless I felt like I'd done my due diligence.

He fumbled for a few more minutes, and then he basically said, "You know, you're not getting any younger." I waited a beat and then I told him I looked forward to receiving his information. He told me I'd have it by the close of business.

My e-mail box is still empty.

No comments: