Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Retail Therapy

As many of the people in the office are, I am virtually useless at work. There was a big board meeting today and essentially the Chairman was fired. The CEO was behind closed doors with the venture investment people when I left the office for class this afternoon. When I went in this morning at 7:00, the CEO was already there. He sat me down and told me that I would likely be out of job by Friday. Now, it looks like I'll be employed for life.

The drama has been building for weeks and yesterday I'd reached my peak and went shopping at lunch. Shopping for clothes is more depressing with each passing year. I'm at that in-between stage where most of the clothes that are produced are for younger men and I would look like a fool if I wore them, or their produced for the younger men's great-great grandfathers who are one golf swing away from that great putting green in the sky. I'm simple in my tastes, but even I would like something a little snappier than a white shirt and khakis.

I'm sure that somewhere there's a collection of young-men's wear designers laughing themselves into comas. Have you tried to buy casual clothes for me? The men's department in Macy's looks like a giant garage sale with dirty, torn jeans and rumpled shirts. I kid you not: I found a brown t-shirt with some logo on it that looked like one I'd worn in grade school, and looked I'd worn it every day since grade school. It was stretched out of shape, the sleeves had holes in them, the collar was frayed. It was ON SALE for $42. I didn't even bother to hang it up, just dropping it on the floor. I'm sure I actually enhanced it's value.

But the Levis were on sale, so I bought a pair, and I found four dress shirts with sleeves that actually reach to my wrists, so I bought them. I spent nearly two hundred dollars, which I NEVER do.

Thank God I'm still employed!

No comments: