Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Poseidon Adventure

I first saw the original The Poseidon Adventure at about the same age as Eric Shea was in the movie. The fact that I can quote the name of the never-heard-from-again boy who played in the movie should give you some idea as just how much of an impact that film had on me. I had wanted to see it because I'd wanted to watch the boat tip over. Then when that scene came, I ran from my first-row seat up to the lobby and waited until all of the screaming stopped before I went back in. I remember what impressed me about the movie was how those people survived, even when they shouldn't have. That it was there sheer determination that got them through it.

I've always admired that in others -- determination to succeed -- even when I haven't been able to adopt that mindset myself. There's a part of me that wonders what degree of success I'd have achieved if I'd not stopped acting. There's another part of me that wonders where I would be if I hadn't taken nearly a year out of my professional development to basically watch T.V. While I don't think I'd have drowned in the ballroom of the S.S. Poseidon, I'm not sure I wouldn't have sat down and waited for the water to come get me.

Then again, I'd have probably sat there and figured that if the water was going to get me anyway, there was no reason to make it easy and I'd have gotten up and trotted after Reverend Scott.

I picked up the two-disc set of The Poseidon Adventure the other day and I just finished watching some of the special features. There is absolutely no denying that the dialogue is awful and the symbolism has been applied with a trowel. Still, there's a refreshing innocence to the film that probably comes more from associations with my childhood than anything else. Yet, to hear Stella Stevens gush with such great pride at having been part of the film I get enthusiastic for it all over again.

And, it seems that very late in life I'm beginning to adopt the much-admired quality of determination. My employment situation has got to be the most dire I've ever seen or heard of, but I'm not giving up. They are going to have to come and get me and I'm not going to make it easy for them.

As for the Poseidon, I saw the television remake, and the recent studio release with Kurt Russell. In both cases the special effects were superior, but the results had lost the charm of the original. You can only experience something like that once, and re-broadcasts serve as charming reminders. Remakes should not be attempted.

No comments: