Friday, May 18, 2007

Contractors

Today was supposed to be the day that my new kitchen floor was installed. The guy showed up, tore up the old floor, laid the subflooring, and then said he couldn't complete the job until the back door was removed, cut, and rehung.

I hate getting angry, but when I called to see if there was someone I could get to come out to cut the door, I was told, "We don't do that, and it's in the contract..."

I interrupted the man on the other end of the phone, "I understand you don't do that, but your man wants to take my back door off it's hinges and leave it that way for a week. That can't happen. Can you recommend someone?"

"We don't do that, and it's in the contract that this might be a possibility and that we can't take responsibility..."

"So, when the man who came out and measured my kitchen, he couldn't have told me that I needed to cut the door down?"

"He would have no way of knowing how thick your tile is."

"But since the tile isn't delivered until it's to be installed, why didn't the installer check this out before he ripped up my floor?"

"Well, there's no way he could know that until he'd rip up the old floor. It says in our contract that we're not responsible for doors..."

"So, two professionals cannot determine whether a door needs to be cut down until the old floor is ripped up and a new subfloor is laid, but I'm supposed to magically know how much a door should be trimmed and schedule a contractor to do it before your installer arrives?"

"It says in the contract..."

"Thank you."

I hung up and got on the internet. I called Janet at Handyman Matters and her scheduler, Julie was amazingly helpful. They scheduled someone to come out on Monday to cut the door and the floor installer said he would try to come back Wednesday morning to finish the project.

But, this should be the last of my little condo touch ups for a while. If you're looking for a handyman, you should call Janet and Julie at Handyman matters. They're particularly good with hysterical queens with dismantled kitchens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hammy we are enjoying your blog and are thrilled to be mentioned!! Thanks so much and please let us know if we can help you again!

Janet Asbury
President
Handyman Matters Chicago