Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Angry and Incoherent

I have never told a lie about anything that really mattered. The lie I told last week to get out of work hounded me with guilt, and then on Monday when I had to carry thru with it in person I pulled it off, but I hated it. That was the first serious lie I told in nearly twenty years, and because I felt so horrible I will probably never tell another.

But today someone lied to me and I lost all, every bit of, respect for the person.

Things at work are getting more dramatic and it's looking pretty good that the CEO will lose his job. Either he'll be fired or he'll get so fed up with the politics that he'll resign. In my opinion, while he's difficult to deal with, this would be a mistake for the company. I spent most of my day with the CEO discussing this and he told me that my boss, the COO, is the one behind the hatchet job. I didn't want to believe it and argued with the CEO. Then I went to the COO and asked him. He denied knowing anything about it and for the thousandth time professed his undying support. Yet, when the board of directors was having their secret meeting to vote on the CEO, my boss somehow couldn't be found in the office. It seems pretty clear that CEO is right. Frankly I've had many conversations with many different people about their doubts regarding the CEO. It's been exhausting, but I have been unfailingly supportive of him.

But, I can't just let things lie. We have one very, very, very BIG client and the director of that account has a lot of clout within the politics of the office. He controls the account and the company cannot survive without it. I went to him and asked him if he knew what was going on. He said he'd heard something about it. When I explained how serious the situation was he offered to call in to the board of directors and express his opinion. I told him that I couldn't ask him to do it, but that if he felt strongly enough... When I left he was headed for his phone.

No comments: