Monday, March 12, 2007

Political Collateral Damage

The politics in the office are heating up and my allegiance to one side came with a small price today. Our concierge quit. This would be the concierge that I spent months trying to hire. She's in the middle of some very big projects, and because I've been her functional supervisor for the past two months I offered to step in and finish one of the higher-profiled projects.

However, the project is for "the other side," and my offer was quite rudely rejected. I was told that I am to have no client contact, that the client would hate me, and that instead they were putting a giggly little twit on the project. Never mind the fact that virtually every detail of the project came from me and the giggly twit has the sophistication of a ... well, giggly twit.

The real reason is because I am a blind supporter of the CEO's. The battle that has been brewing for the past few months is going to come to a head next week. The CEO has said it's either "him or me," and if they go with him I will shortly be out of a job. Frankly, I'm not worried. The only sane option is to go with the CEO, and if they get rid of him I don't want to stay anyway.

Still, in the instance at hand, the smart thing would have been to have me finish the high-profile project. As I've said, the job just has to hold through graduation, which is June 17. Everything after that is gravy.

Now, I've put off working on my paper long enough.

No comments: