Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Great American

I am not a sophisticated person, so I do not know how to add a You Tube screen to my blog. If you're interested in seeing the segments I'm talking about, please click here.

I like Rosie O'Donnell. I think she's opinionated and perhaps could measure her words a little better, but I like her. I also think the dynamic tension with her and her castmates on The View is intentional and makes for good television -- certainly some of the most interesting television in day time.

I don't know what to make of her conspiracy theories of 9/11. They are plausible, as most conspiracy theories are. However I applaud Rosie for speaking her mind without her views being run through a public opinion poll.

The companion piece is from Bill O'Reilly's show where he has three Fox news analysts whimpering because Elizabeth Hasselback isn't a match for Rosie or Joy Behar. The irony of the fact that they had absolutely no liberal commentator to discuss Rosie's right to uncensored free speech completely eludes them.

Make no mistake: O'Reilly wasn't talking about the validity of Rosie's claim. He was outraged that she has a platform to air a view that he disagrees with, and so he's calling for her dismissal.

Note to Mr. O'Reilly: America is a free country, one of the pillars of which is free commerce. If The View doesn't bring in its numbers, Rosie will lose her platform. That is how our system works.

No comments: