Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sexism in Politics

Is there sexism in America?

Duh.

I've seen it on a daily basis in ways too numerous and nuanced to catalogue here.

Did I support Barak Obama over Hillary Clinton because he's a man and she's a woman?

Absolutely not.

I supported Barak Obama because he ran a better campaign. I continue to support him because he continues to take the high ground. He says he wants to change Washington and he's starting with his campaign. He's doing it right.

Of course, that does not guarantee that he'll win.

I watch Keith Olberman. I cannot deny that Olberman is becoming just as shrill as his conservative counterparts. He's arrogant and condescending to anyone with an opinion that doesn't mesh with his own. He's intellectually incurious about anything different, and he's easily outraged. At times I watch his show and think the man is my media doppelganger.

And when there's a commercial, I flip over to catch a few seconds of the Bill O'Reilly Show. Because a few seconds are all I can take. I am not disgusted by Bill O'Reilly because he has views that are completely different from my own. I'm revolted because in the few times I've peeked into his show, he's been talking about himself and what an exceptional journalist he is. I watched a few minutes of his interview with Obama and was embarrassed at just how rude and combative he was. I was, however, equally embarrassed at how deferential Olberman was in his interviews. But this, of course, is the result of putting "personalities" into positions where "professionals" are required.

However, Obama was the same guy in both interviews. He answered the questions. He was respectful and thoughtful and sincere. And he garnered more respect from me because he sat down with the vile O'Reilly, knowing full well that O'Reilly would be an arrogant prick. He took it like a man.

And if she were now the nominee, so would Hillary Clinton. And I suspect that to some degree so would John McCain.

No one condescends to Joe Biden. It can't be done.

Facing the media is part of the campaign. It's what professionals do.

So, where is Sarah Palin? Hiding because the media has yet to demonstrate its deference to her. The media, in an attempt to actually do its job and fill an informational void left by the Republican party by nominating an unknown and then refusing to provide access to the candidate has done presented what information it could on the candidate, and not surprisingly not all of the information has been good.

And not only has the Republican campaign seen fit to feign outrage that the media would actually investigate their candidate, they've had the nerve to say their motive is sexism. They have hidden the hothouse flower Palin from scrutiny by the American press and only trotted her out to deliver the same speech over and over.

Why?

The sexism sword cuts both ways.

No comments: