Thursday, September 04, 2008

Schadenfreude

I wish I was a better person. I wish I lived up to Christian ideals. I'm a terribly flawed person. I'm a sinner.

But, I just love watching what goes around coming around.

A year ago I was laid off from a company that was/is peopled with evil, narcissistic bigots. Ordinarily I would at least make an attempt at Christian charity. Not in this case. These people were/are horrid. The only consolation I have is that my termination was not personal, nor did it reflect upon my abilities. They'd had several rounds of layoffs before I left, and several more after I left.

And it's the several more after I left that entertains me immensely.

To wit:

The Iago who continually stirred the pot, the one who, with his law degree from Northwestern had somehow convinced himself that he was qualified to head the company, has been let go. I have no first-hand knowledge, only circumstantial indicators, but I know that company and how things work. I suspect that all of the whiz kid's big talk finally caught up to him. In playing both ends he found himself in the middle and was devoured. Pity. I know he has massive student loans to pay and now he's probably living off the largess of his very, very wealthy father in law.

One of the sales people who also was famous for saying one thing and doing another just got very publicly burned by one of his clients. After swindling our company out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and then "leaving to start his own agency," one of his clients used his services and then in the eleventh hour went with a competitor, thus robbing this salesperson of nearly a million dollars in commissions and loads of public humiliation.

And the current president of the company, the one who lied and connived to get into the position, is being sued by one his former employees for millions of dollars. In all likelihood, this case whether it goes to court or not, whether it's won or not, will most likely close the company's doors for good.

The tragic part of this story is that there are some really decent people still trapped in this company who will most likely have a very, very difficult time replacing their jobs. I genuinely hope that they're OK.

As for the rest of them...

Meanwhile, I'm successfully employed and from all indications seem to be on the verge of establishing a successful business and new career. Living well truly is the best revenge.

No comments: