Saturday, December 15, 2007

This Too Shall Pass

Every now and then it's important for me to stop and realize that the current moment is not the sum total of my life. The existing situation is not the eternal situation, especially in my life.

And, at the risk of being smug, with each interview that I do I become more and more impressed with myself. In comparison to the general population, I've done some pretty impressive, interesting things. I'm always a little surprised at the reaction I get when I tell people that I did a show at Steppenwolf, that I've done two operas at the Lyric, that I taught myself how to build a website, that I'm completing a collection of short stories, and I'm outlining a novel. Hasn't everyone?

Apparently not.

And so, I go into an interview thinking I'm just an average schmoe who can clearly do a bang-up job and come out painfully aware that the interviewer thinks I'm over qualified. And that's after I've taken my humility pill.

Ah, to be fabulous and unemployed. But at least I'm interesting.

No comments: