Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What Have You Been Doing...

So, I'm getting called for interviews now, in spite of the fact that things "slow down as we go into the holidays" and they all ask, "So, what have you been doing since July?"

"Well, I've been writing this paper on the institutionalization of whiteness, focusing on Edmund Burke, but drawing interpretive parallels to Malcolm X and Michele Foucault. And in my spare time I started a side business, which required that I research the business, and teach myself the skills necessary to perform the services I wanted to offer as well as the marketing skills necessary to launch the business. In addition I've been editing my collection of short stories.

"Oh, and looking for a job."

And still they invariably let that little silent pause in to indicate that they think you're a slacker.

No comments: