Monday, November 19, 2007

Contradictions*

The chorus rehearses on Sunday nights. (The concert is coming up. Do you have your tickets?) After rehearsal I've begun the habit of wandering over to Whole Foods and picking up a tasty treat to nibble while I watch whatever must-see Sunday night TV the cable is offering up. (The current favorite is Dexter, and if you don't have Showtime, you should at least to go out and get the first season on DVD. One of the top-ten best shows of all time.)

So, each Sunday I wander up and down the aisles looking at the "organic" food, all of which is much more expensive than the "corporate poison" I'll find in my Dominic's, which is in turn more expensive than the lower-end brands I'll find in the little Mexican vegetable market. Then suddenly it hit me. All of this socially superior nourishment is packaged in plastic! So, the message is: The polar ice caps can melt, but I'll be so healthy I can tread water until the next ice age.

Sometimes the hypocrisy of the self-important, upper-middle classes is stifling. The hubris and ignorance is like one long, continuous fart waiting for someone to simply light a match and make it all go away. These same baby-on-board, pre-suburbanites who will live in the city just until little Morgan or Conrad either gets into the right private school or they are forced to the flee the city for the better suburban schools have bought the message that the world is their oyster. They can, if they think they can, and damn anyone else who may have to pay the consequences.

I have no problem with wanting to eat healthier foods and I support anyone whose beliefs take them down the vegan path. It's commendable. But just don't load all of your precious, nutritious ashram-grown sprouts wrapped in plastic take-out containers into your Hummer, to drive three blocks to your Lake Shore Drive condo and think for one second that you're "sticking it to the man!"

*This post may have been written while in an over-caffeinated state. Long live Diet Coke!

No comments: