Friday, January 19, 2007

I am a Faggot

I don't believe anyone has actually called me a faggot to my face since high school. But I'm quite sure the term has been applied to me behind my back on more than one occasion. Now, it seems the blogs that I read are all abuzz over Isaiah Washington having the nerve to use the word in civilization -- if a Hollywood soundstage could be considered civilization.

But, I have to say the I applaud Mr. Washington. It takes a certain brand of moxy to brazenly flaunt Hollywood political correctness and speak your mind. To not only display, but to glory in your own arrogance and ignorance in such a public manner is truly awe inspiring. I only wish Mr. Washington had the nerve to stand on the highest mountain and yell, "I hate faggots!" I'd ask him to run for president.

Not there was any doubt in Mr. Knight's mind how Mr. Washington felt, I'm sure. Long before a gay man learns to identify other gay men in covert ways, he develops his ability to sense homophobia. I, myself, learned to identify it rather late in life. But now that I have the power, so to speak, I do not hate homophobes. I truly, truly pity them. Homophobia is a mental disorder and a lifestyle choice. Homophobes either can't help how they feel, or they've chosen a lifestyle of hate that I don't particularly agree with. I can only pity them and pray that when Jesus comes back he takes pity on those poor souls who ferociously disregard his teachings.

Whether they know it or not, some of the most charming, smartest people I know are homophobic. Honestly, some of my best friends are homophobic. I can see them get antsy if I mention dating, and they never, ever introduce me to anyone they think I might like. And I carefully help them preserve their safe little asexual image of me. I am forever going to a be a favorite bachelor uncle for several people. For a lot of people I know, I'm their token gay friend. My presence in their lives is proof positive that they themselves are hip and accepting, but they don't want to talk about it.

As I grow and mature, I find that I can still like certain people in spite of their misguided lifestyle choice. But I find myself chosing to spend less time with them, even if it means I spend more time alone. I prefer to pity them from afar. And like Mr. Washington, I have an immense respect for their brave decision to cling to their beliefs, no matter out antiquated and ignorant they may be. I simply pity them.

2 comments:

ruthie and connie said...

About "homophobes". It's time we stopped softening the reality by calling those who hate us..keep us from our civil rights..murder us..commit acts of violence against us and use religion and civil law to make it right, Homophobes. It's hatred pure and simple. No they are not dereanged, they are not mentally ill, they are doing what most of society condones or doesn't take seriously because we excuse such behavior with mental illness. STOP..call it like it is.

Hammy said...

I'm not sure I believe in hatred. I believe in fear. In the case of Isaiah Washington, I believe he's afraid of something: possibly his attraction to T.R. Knight, possibly the realization that he's not better than everyone else, possibly the discovery of the whole human race that he, personally, is a talentless, ignorant fuck.