Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cosmetic Procedures

So, yesterday I went to the dentist for a second time in a month. The first time was for my first check up and cleaning in three years. No insurance, no check ups. At that exam he told me I had my first cavity in thirty-five years and that my fillings needed to be replaced. Yesterday I went in to have the new cavity filled and one of the old fillings taken care of.

The bill for those two simple visits was nearly $600. My portion was a little over $90, but my dentist doesn't use silver fillings anymore -- the only kind covered by my insurance. Instead he uses a porecline concoction that gives the teeth of seventeen year old. The receptionist told me they'd submit the claim to the insurance and if they didn't cover everything they'd send me a bill for the balance. Somehow I'm not comforted by that.

No comments: