Sunday, April 13, 2008

Soul--Sucking Employment

There's just no denying that I was happier when I was unemployed. Apart from the lack of income and looming financial collapse, I really rather enjoyed having days on end, stretching as far as the eye could see, available to do with as I saw fit. Now, with the new job, I can manage at most four hours a day for myself. Factor in things like cooking and cleaning and we're down to possibly an hour a day. And at the end of the day, getting the brain revved up to write a story is painfully slow.

Of course, there is Saturday and Sunday, not to mention the odd holiday. But if one is to have any sort of personal relationships of any kind, those days are swallowed by annoying social engagements.

And this job is just plain weird. I sit in this large room with up to eight other people and the room is absolutely silent while everyone stares at their computers. Much of the interaction among us happens with text messages. If anyone does speak, they whisper. And soon we'll be adding more people, which will mean that I'm moved. I will have the three top executives sitting directly behind me, watching every key stroke. It kind of freaks me out.

But they're nice people and the commute isn't painful. The work itself is mind numbing, but it's paying the bills.

The good news in all of this is that I think I've finally got my final story mapped out in my head. For me, that's three-quarters of the battle. Now if I can just get it typed out I can begin the revision and editing process, which has always gone smoothly in the past (knock wood), so I should be on target for a June 1 deadline to start the query/submission letters.

No comments: