Thursday, October 04, 2007

The View in the Mirror

They say that the best revenge is living well. Of course, that raises the question, "Is it revenge if the other person has no idea how well you're doing?"

As could probably be expected, the company from which I was dismissed nearly three months ago now is not doing well. I don't have the details, but there were two major concerns at the time I left, both involing websites. The prevailing opinions were that both websites absolutely must be kept updated with "bleeding-edge" information. I actually was spearheading one of the projects -- even though it had nothing to do with human resources -- because a) it was deemed critical, and b) it had been stalled for months. When I left there were actually three drafts of potential websites. All that was needed was to push the go button.

With the exception of the removal of the names of those employees who were in the latest round of layoffs, there has been nothing done with the website. It is still the embarrassment it was.

The other website represented the single significant source of revenue and required daily updates to generate interest from sponsors. It was last updated a month ago. Now, it's possible that the company went in another direction, but as of the day before I left financial survival hinged on this website being at least moderately successful.

Of course, gloating is so unattractive. But I truthfully can't help but feeling that as inconvenient as the timing might have been, leaving when I did really was the best thing for me. I've been spared at least three months of bickering and accusations and complaining.

Instead, I've been building my own business. And at the risk of appearing less than modest I must say that I'm thrilled with the recent interest that has been expressed. I have three consultations on the calendar for next week. Activity on my website has been growing steadily and nearly half the people who are visiting my website are bookmarking it. While it's way, way too early to claim success and anything certainly could happen to upset the apple cart, I'd say that things are looking pretty good.

The agony is that I really, really, REALLY want the people at my former company to know that if they'd only listened to me, if they'd only stopped fighting with one another we could be successful. I want them to know that while they are trying to fling one another from the Titanic, I'm sitting in my life raft sipping cognac and watching the spectacle.

It's petty, I know, and absolutely not me at my warmest, most loving and nurturing. But I really, really, REALLY deserve to have them know that I was not defeated; that in fact this may not be the last laugh, but it's the one I got and it's pretty darn loud. The people who remained with the company are all talented, smart people, and when this venture does finally go under -- as it will -- they'll all be fine. I really, really, REALLY just want them to say that I was right.

No comments: