Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Straw

Over the years I've had people tell me that I'm a little abrupt at times, that I can choose my words a little more carefully, that I can take people's feelings into consideration before speaking.

Hard to believe, I know.

Well, three weeks ago I was sat down and spoken to about my attitude at work. I told my boss that the reality is I'm attached to nothing. My contribution is to clean the kitchen, and while I know someone has to do it I don't necessarily appreciate being treated like the maid. As an experiment, I decided to not speak until spoken to. I was silent for two days. I'm not kidding.

Still, I managed to put on a little show and I've gotten a nice, shiny, gold star for my improved attitude.

And then today I was sat down again.

I've been put in charge of sending out the holiday gifts and cards to the clients and prospective clients. When I was given this assignment, I was told that they were to go out on December 1. As of this morning nothing has been done. So, in an effort to jump start this project I sent out the following e-mail to everyone in the office:

"If anyone has any extra newspapers, I need them for packing materials for the holiday gifts, so if you could bring them in I'd appreciate it.

Also, I need your holiday cards by Friday."

It's that last line that set my boss's hair on fire. How could I tell anyone that I NEEDED anything? And to include the CEO on the mailing list? We're in an office of eight. The entire company is twenty employees. I sit less than five feet away from the CEO.

Yet, my e-mail was too demanding.

I'm looking for a new job.

No comments: