Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Contentment

I don't know how anyone else's life works, but mine seems to change in a minute. One minute I'm managing a sleepy little cafe, and the next I'm a director of human resources for a marketing firm. Then I blink and I'm a starving writer. And in a breath I'm helping start a software company and one of the most popular new theatrical photographers in the city. It leaves me breathless, but I'm not sure I'd have it any other way. How do people simmer along in the same job for a decade?

Yes, along with these whiplash changes there come some incredibly low moments where I'm left to wonder what exactly is wrong with me, why can't I have a normal life? I've watched friends get married, have children, get divorced, all on schedule, and I've missed all of that. Missed is probably the wrong word. While I'd like to be partnered, I don't feel like I've missed something by not being married. I love kids, as long as they belong to someone else. And divorce is something I've experienced second hand on a number of occasions. I don't need to feel that for myself.

But tonight, as I type this, I have to admit that I'm pretty happy and grateful for the life I've had so far. It hasn't been perfect, but thank God for that.

No comments: