Saturday, July 15, 2006

I, Helen of Troy

This week I had two grown men fighting over me. I can tell you, first hand, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

I’ll try not to bore you with all of the irrelevant details, but the bottom line is that there is a power struggle going on between the management, led by the new CEO, and the three original founders of the company, led by the Chairman of the Board.

In broad strokes, the Chairman came to me and asked me to do something that is just a tiny bit illegal. I told him I’d look into it, and found a way to accomplish the end result legally. I took my solution to the CEO, who was the one to approve such action, and he asked for my advise. I told him I didn’t want to do anything, and that it really was in our best interest, both long term and short term, to do nothing. He agreed and refused to approve any action.

Well, the Chairman didn’t like that. As is his way, he began back-room manipulations, trying everything he could think of to get his way. This infuriated the CEO. The Chairman claiming I promised that the project would be done and the CEO telling him that he wouldn’t approve it. The Chairman then went on to blacklist me and insist that I be fired. Luckily both my boss the COO, the CFO and the CEO all came down on my side. In a closed, glass-door meeting apparently things got so hot between the CEO and the Chairman that they were gearing up to throw punches and were prevented only by the CFO.

A formal showdown comes on Tuesday, at the official board of directors meeting. At that time I should either be unemployed or have a promotion and a big, fat raise.

Stay tuned…

No comments: